Saturday, May 14, 2011

M's Food Find #42

HELLO! It is Saturday night, I am spending it at home. I also spent most part of saturday today cooped up in uni. I know I said I would post more on Taipei trip for the reader who requested. I will do it soon once all my uni obligations are done with. So after May, I can take a chill pill for a month before it all begins again. Meantime, I have been ill and slightly recovered now. So I spent the past couple of days eating and eating. Crap food, junk food, good food.

Tonight for dinner, I met Anna, Li Jia, Shiyu, Nurun and Anna's hsemates, Michael and his gf. We made reservations at the Bateman Chinese Restaurant on the recommendations of Anna. It is my first time and after tonight (I am still bloated from dinner), I will say if you haven't been and looking for new food places, this is definitely one place in Perth you should go to!

TIP: MAKE RESERVATIONS beforehand. DON'T say I didn't warn you!




That's the teeny place which doesn't seat alot of people but its food packs a punch. If you don't make reservations, you will have to wait or sit outside. And in this cold winter which can only get colder, it is something you don't want eh?

The number is sure big enough on it for you to see eh. So pick up the phone already. It opens lunch and dinner. I am going to bring the boys here for lunch one day!

Its laminated menu with so many yummy choices. Like any other Chinese restaurants, but the fragrances and delicious smell wafts through and you can see what the other diners are having. You can tell it is GOOD.

Told you it was small. We were already sitting by the door. Service is a little slow but worth all the wait. Its waiters and waitresses are pretty friendly though because it is so busy, it takes awhile to get their attention. Time to maybe get more helpers eh?

Without further ado, you don't have to wait as long as we did for our food. BUT, we ate so much faster because everyone was so hungry. Besides, you can't eat these photos...

First dish, sambal fish wings. When it hit the table, we all just sighed. A definite must order. The sambal was salty enough to complement the sweetness of the fresh fish meat. Love the onions and tomatoes fried with it.

Sweet and sour pork is always the crowd favourite and a kid-friendly dish. The pork here is really good because there isn't much flour coating it and the pork meat is actually tender. Some sweet and sour pork is like hard balls of flour.

The Assam fish head curry which we chose to separate from the fried fish head shown below. The Assam curry is not wow for me so I was not too impressed with this one. Not spicy enough. Not sour enough. Skip this and just order the fish soup beehoon I see so many patrons eating.

The fried fish head pieces. The order comes in 5 pieces, which are very substantial sizes. We ordered an extra serve since we had 7 people. THEY ARE ALSO A MUST ORDER. Yummy. I really loved the one I had. The fish meat was so fresh and sweet. And juicy. Yes, it is sort of melt in your mouth. The fried crunch on the outside is not too hard, sort of just coats the fish. The fish does not soak up much oil so it still remains light. I cannot praise this enough. Order this with soup beehoon. Enough already methinks.

Salt, pepper & chilli chicken. I only had a strip of it. I think it is alright. Chicken was tender and all but pales in comparison to the fish dishes.


Sambal okra, or sambal lady's fingers. Not bad at all. I like it but it is not the best I have had. Besides I was so stuffed from everything else, I just don't want food anymore...


We went to Utopia for bubble tea after that at Melville. But most of us were so full, desserts weren't really in demand. Michael got his bubble tea. I caved in and bought their Oreo Cheesecake. It looks so cute!


Blueberries and with a baby Chocolate macaron. Enough to fill me up and quieten my Gelare waffles craving.



Photos credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com


The ladies of the night before we went our separate ways. Thank you for being part of the few social hours I have. Hahahahaha. I hope you are having a better Saturday!


Till my next food find, Mayy xo

Bateman Chinese Malaysian Eating House and Take Away Food on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment