Friday, January 14, 2011

M's Food Find #5

Today's Food Find post will be my personal dim sum war between Taste Paradise (ION Orchard) and Crystal Jade Palace Restaurant (Ngee Ann City). I can't decide which I like better. So here goes...

I went for Taste Paradise last Sunday with my mum, sis, aunt and cousin. I liked the place the first time I went in July. The VIP service, the private room, the private chats with the chefs and manager. It appealed to my preferences of good service. The food was really good, particularly the XO carrot cake, Char Siew Soh (puff pastry), shark fin's, and the gorgeous fruit platter at the end. That's the first time. The char siew soh melts in the mouth, and is so light and crumbly. Yummy.

Second time now, I have heard how good the roast pork belly is and really wanted to try. It came in small cubes and we had two plates. I found it abit tough as there were very little fats. I like them fatty. XO carrot cake remains the best. Piping hot and really soft and flavourful. We also had special delivery of the 8 flavour xiaolongbao brought over from Paradise Dynasty. All in all, it was a joy.




Today after my haircut at Reds in Ngee Ann City, we debated on where to go for lunch and had a last minute change of heart to try Crystal Jade Palace Restaurant. I haven't been but heard rave reviews. After all, their usual long queues put me off but today was a nice invite straight in. We had to share a long table in a back room but hey, it has its charm. Their roast pork belly is a must order, a nice crunch on top with the right balance of fats and meat. But non of these two beats my favourite and in my opinion BEST siew yok around which melts in your mouth (it warrants a whole post for itself).



When I entered one of the rooms, I spied this whole table of mature businessmen having a banquet. Would have loved to be part of that and tapped into their conversations. Would have been interesting. Okok, and I saw them each have a bowl of soup. Specifically the yellow melon soup with assorted seafood. I just had to order one for myself! And it was really good, the soup was clear yet thick of flavour. Seafood inside were juicy and fresh.



The pan fried carrot cake arrived hot and very very soft. Last but not least, another more unforgettable one was the dessert we ordered, rice dumplings/tang yuan coated with peanuts. When it arrived, there was nothing special about it, very ordinary and deceptive. I bit into mine (so light and soft) and the fragrant sesame paste flowed out. Let's just say the way to eat this is how you would eat a xiao long bao. Careful and mindful of the fluid inside.


Photos credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com
Both places have their pros and cons,, how does a girl chooses? Well, for me I still like Taste Paradise because of the service I receive there (although the second time round wasn't as good). See, first impressions do count that much.

Till my next food find, Mayy xo
Follow me on twitter.com/mayyb

No comments:

Post a Comment