Wednesday, January 19, 2011

M's Food Find #7

Okok, more food posts coming up! I have been eating out alot, and I try my best to make sure I earn those calories by eating good food. I mean if I were to gain weight, better to have done so eating food well worth the calories! Thought I would share them with you all =)

This food place is in the heartlands of Singapore, at Eunos. It is at Blk 4A (I think), the big hawker centre behind the MRT Station. Mummy introduced it to me again. It is my first time trying it and boy, have I fallen in love with it.

The hawker stall is called Hock Choon Laksa & Lor Mee. It is in the middle aisle and have a long line of people queuing up for it. Unmistakable then. Mum and I initially thought to order a bowl of laksa and a bowl of lor mee. She loves their lor mee with the fried fish and meatballs. However, as she was queuing up, she noticed EVERYONE ordered the lor mee, no one ordered laksa...so well, we had 2 bowls of lor mee. The fried fish were sold out and the owners tried to tell Mum to swap for fishcakes. There was NO WAY Mummy is taking that for an answer. So she told them she would wait for the next batch of fried fish which were cooking then. (TIP: Make sure you order the fried fish, even if it means waiting awhile more. Well worth!)

When I tucked into my bowl of lor mee finally, I nodded my head in agreement with Mummy. The gravy soup was starchy to the right consistency, i.e. not over starchy yet not too watery. I ordered beehoon mee, the beehoon softens the starchiness of the mee and gravy soup. So it doesn't make one feel like overkill too soon. Biting into the meatball was something quirky since I have never had crunchy meatballs in my lor mee. They serve half an hard boiled egg, but I say skip that and have them give you more fried fish or meatball. Their fried fish was very fresh and crispy. The fish meat inside was tender. Perfectly done. My favourite part of the dish was surprisingly, their 'lor bak' (meat). It was 'lor' to perfection, with the right hint of fattiness and meat. Yums.

Photo credit: mayydiaries.blogspot.com (used my phone again...)

I really enjoyed this simple affair. Wash it all down with soya milk mixed with grass jelly and you will be floating on cloud nine for the rest of the day!

Till my next food find, Mayy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment