Monday, February 7, 2011

M's Food Find #15

One of my favourite local Asian food I love and crave, Hor Fun! It's something I turn to in Perth's chinese restaurants or in Singapore to eat when I don't have anything I want to eat or feel like eating. But it still manages to make me happy in the end. =D


Photo credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com (bad photo from my e71)

That particular photo was taken about a week ago when the weather was insane with the constant raining and heavy winds. I was in Bugis with Mummy and ended up at the big hawker centre between Bugis Village and Fu Lu Shou complex. Not knowing what to eat, I remembered one of the best hor fun in Singapore resides there (before the renovation). So I was really happy to learn that after renovation, the stall is still around. Four Seas Fried Horfun, the first stall in about the 4th or 5th row counting from the back entrance (ie nearer to OG mall).

There was always such a long wait and this time, 20 minutes sounded good. So we agreed and waited. A big steaming plate arrived and we tucked in real happily even after we ate a big plate of chee cheong fun and yam cake. HEH. I liked the brown colour of the noodles as it shows it has been fried properly. The gooey eggy gravy that covered the noodles was starchy to the right note and not too salty nor bland. Alot of places veer on the bland side, eew.

The other place where I like to go for my horfun fix is at Geylang East. The big hawker centre at Blk 95, right in the heart of the neighbourhood shops. I grew up in that area, so going back there always makes me sorta happy. And I like that most of the old shops with the really good food are still around. This is one of them, Tian Cao. They sell out so fast, and the wait is insane. Lucky Mum's on good terms with the stall owners. Even then, it doesn't help much when the queue is too long. They also do a really really yummy version of Mee Goreng with generous helpings of tomatoes, onions, prawns etc. Anyway, back to this stall's Hor Fun. Brown noodles but not overly fried like the Bugis one. The gravy here is so good, the best. It's clear starchy and there's an even consistency. Remind the auntie to add an egg when ordering. So you get the eggy gravy which in my opinion, always tastes better. Their prawns are very fresh too, like glass prawns. Yums.

So if you are in that area, make sure you try them! I'm pretty sure they will have you going back for more ;) I'm going back to Perth soon and it's really quite upsetting because I have really just started to get used to being home...sighs.

Till my next food find, Mayy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment