Thursday, February 10, 2011

M's Food Find #19

Rightey-O, blogging the 19th post and will celebrate the next one with a really good find I promise. Meantime, here's more desserts for the girls and even boys who has sweet tooth!

I heard about this place from 2 friends, one from Twitter and the other when I met her. Aik Leng agrees with me on the yummy desserts this place offer. Xin Hui brought me there. When I met her, I already had lunch so I agreed I would accompany her for it. It was one of those rainy days (HEAVY RAIN). So we tried to find sheltered places. She suggested Chefdaniel's Kitchen at the rooftop of Iluma. I never knew there were restaurants up there!

It was such a gorgeous quiet place. Very romantic if you know what I mean ;) So Valentine's Day is coming up too... ANYWAY, you may be wondering WHO Chef Daniel is? Well if you watch Channel 8 SAN CAI YI TANG every wednesday night, he is one the guest judges. He is my second favourite on the show. Chef Eric is number one because I think he is pretty good looking. HAHA. I ordered dessert while accompanying Xin Hui.

Now that is their Apple tarte tartin with Pecan toffee icecream (if I remember the flavour correctly, but I sure know the taste well). I had to wait for abit for this dish as the chefs had to make this. No regrets about the wait, it looked amazing and tasted wonderful, The crunchiness of the apple after it being baked. The base was a little too thin for my liking though. Because it was really good. The sauce was too sweet but complemented the apple slices well. The ice cream seemed homemade and was amazing. It melted too fast but the smoothness and iciness were tops. No need to say, I fell in love with it.

Xin Hui ordered the set lunch which was reasonably priced. She had the Salmon Mentaiko Pasta. She loved it while I thought it wasn't the best around. But then again, it is never easy to satisfy my Salmon and Mentaiko tastebuds individually or together. It was a generous portion for the price though.

It was also a nice touch to serve us each a piece of freshly baked bread. It is so good dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I like that the bread was served warm. Her set menu obviously included dessert of the day: Rockmelon cake.

Photos credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com
It is really interesting to savour this Rockmelon cake because my family (or rather, sister) eats rockmelon almost every night. It is her favourite fruit I think and she knows her standards. I just haven't heard of Rockmelon being done in any way other than the fruit itself.

My first bite into the cake was full of flavour. The chocolate cake was very subtle, the rockmelon mousse was packed with rockmelon punch. You also have to dip the cake into the lemon sauce and it really brings it to a different level. The little jelly balls were so cute! Bite into it and it bursts to reveal lemony juice. No, not sour juice. Nice touch. I would have bought this back for sis but I left the place in a hurry. Guess it is a reason to go back?

Aik Leng tells me their pandan creme brulee is awesome so yeah, will definitely make it a point to go back there! Well, when I am next back in Singapore that is. As well as to catch a glimpse of chef Daniel who waved! I saw him! But blur me forgot to take a photo with him, SIGHS. All the more reason now....

Till my next food find (which won't be long), Mayy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment